A few weeks ago we spoke about how to use Google Analytics as an SME, including important changes from the GA4 update. However, we only spoke about the basics and didn’t talk about more detailed features, like how to extract the data you want. One key aspect of GA4 is the ability to create reports and dashboards. This allows your SME to visualise and interpret data effectively in a way that suits your business. So today we’re thought we’d take you through how to create simple reports in Google Analytics.
Before diving into the details, it’s essential to understand the distinction between reports and dashboards in GA4. Firstly, reports are a collection of data visualisations that provide insights into specific aspects of your website or app’s performance. In GA4, you can generate pre-defined reports or create custom reports tailored to your business goals. Secondly, dashboards are a customizable canvas where you can add various widgets, including charts, tables, and real-time data cards, to get a holistic view of your analytics data at a glance.
So now we’re clear on the differences between reports and dashboards. Let’s learn how to create simple reports in Google Analytics.
- Log in to your GA4 account and select the property you want to generate a report for.
- In the left-hand sidebar, click on the “Reports” tab.
- Choose from predefined reports in the acquisition, engagement or users tab. Or create a custom report by going into an already made report and clicking the pencil icon in the top left and “customise report”.
- Customise your report by adding dimensions and metrics that are most relevant to your business. For example, you can track user demographics, traffic sources, or page views.
- Use filters to refine your data further. Filters can help you focus on specific segments of your audience or activities, like organic or paid audiences.
- Once you’ve crafted a report that aligns with your objectives, click apple in the bottom of the right hand tab. Then click save in the top right of your report page. Now you can share the report with your team or even export it as a PDF..
Now we have a few reports saved, let’s look into creating a simple dashboard.
- Just like when creating reports, log in to your GA4 account and select your property.
- Click on the “explore” tab in the left-hand sidebar.
- You can either create a new dashboard from scratch or use one of the templates provided by GA4.
- It doesn’t matter if you decided to create your own or use a GA4 template. It’s now time to customise your dashboard by adding various widgets that display specific data visualisations, such as line charts, tables, or real-time user statistics.
- Now you’ve created one aspect of your dashboard you can create more by selecting the plus icon in the centre tabs. Add as many as you need.
- Once your dashboard is tailored to your liking, click apple and save in the top right corner. You can now share it with other members of your team or export it.
We hope you enjoyed learning how to create simple reports in Google Analytics and are now ready to try it out for yourself. If you have any questions about GA4 or any other online projects please contact us. We’d love to see if we could lend a helping hand. Until next time – happy marketing!